Saturday, July 28, 2012

Los Angeles Getty Museum: Part 2, the Artwork


This picture was on a sign with a big "Coming Soon," advertizing a new exhibit which hadn't opened yet: Klimt, The Magic of Line.  I love this sketch.  So wild and beautiful.  Though, I must admit, this drawing makes me think of Tarzan. 

Below is an illuminated manuscript.  This section of the Getty is my favorite, mainly because I love old books, and I love seeing the ancient handwritten art and lettering.  This piece was done in Paris around 1420 and is called "A Burial."   


Steven got super excited when he saw this!  The first is 1460-1525 and is an Italian example of "deceive the eye" paintings.  The front (this is a two sided painting) was done about 1490.


















I'm pretty sure you can't guess why I liked this piece.  It's called "Portrait of a Woman with a Book of Music" by Bacchiacca around 1540. 


"Disegno and Colore" by Guercino, about 1640.  It took Steven and I a while to figure out that the women was painting, and that the guy was showing her a sketch.  Steven was like, "Why is there a cupid in the bed?"  The artist, Guercino, is depicting the stages of art.   


"The Sermon on the Mount," 1598 by Jan Brueghel the Elder.  This painting is beautiful, and I like how the artist is likening the scriptures by bringing the Sermon on the Mount to his time.


"The Music Lesson," 1668 by Gerard ter Borch.  Another music painting, 
which is why I had to take the picture.


"The Interior of the Church of Saint Bravo, Haarlem," 1628 by Pieter Jansz. Saenredam.  I love the lines in this piece, which is what drew my eye.


"The Drawing Lesson," 1665 by Jan Steen.  I love the detail and subject matter.


"A Young Scholar and His Tutor," about 1629.  It's not known who the artist is, but it was done in the studio of Rembrandt, and thought to be that of Gerrit Dou, Rembrandt's first pupil.  I love knowledge, and the sharing of knowledge, which is why I like this piece.  Also, the subjects are interesting, and I want to know the story behind them. 


Have a great day!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment