Wednesday, July 7, 2021

In Which Frank Sinatra Offers My Grandma a Ride...

My Grandmother is beautiful.  Five foot eight, dyed blonde hair in the latest short style (she was a natural strawberry blonde).  She would never admit to it, as she always saw herself as a country bumpkin.  After high school she went into cosmetology, and while in her young 20's, sometime in the mid-1950's, my Grandma apprenticed on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

It was here where the fateful event occurred.

My grandmother was simple and modest, one for routine.  She would work and then go home.  One afternoon after working in the shop she left to walk to her car.  While approaching a parking lot exit a car pulled in front of her and stopped.  Frank Sinatra was driving, a blue car from my mother's retelling, and he asked my Grandma if she wanted a ride.  

Well, my Grandma didn't hesitate.  She showed him her left hand where sat her wedding ring, said she was married, and then continued on her way.

Heh, and that was that.  My grandma turned Frank Sinatra down.

For the longest time I wondered if my Grandmother was the only women who turned Sinatra down, when a gal I was talking to said her grandma did as well.  She was honeymooning in Las Vegas, and when Sinatra was flirting with her, she left as well.

And here we thought Ol' Blue Eyes had game...

Hope you're having a great day,
Sarah
 
(Happy Late Birthday in Heaven Grandma, hope it was a fun celebration). P.S. I really hope we have birthday parties in heaven.  "And now we celebrate the day you went to Earth!"  That would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment