Sunday, July 11, 2021

Dreaming of Japan

“Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”

~ Anthony Bourdain

The above picture was taken in April 2019 while wandering Tokyo.  What an incredible night.  I've been dreaming of trips, past frolics around globe.  Every now and then, out of nowhere, my memory will take me to a place I've been.  I'm wide awake, but I see the location.  Feel it.  Sometimes I remember where it is; sometimes my mind stretches to recall, figuring out the fractured memory.

(One of these places is a train station in Germany, close to a hotel I stayed at in 2018.  I can't remember what city it was!  But I remember the train station, the hotel lobby, and the Burger King... or was it McDonalds?  Those pictures didn't make the photo book.  It might have been Mainz.  But for some reason my mind takes me back there, standing outside the hotel, looking towards the train station.)

My mind occasionally takes me back to Japan, one of those places I'd love to once again visit.  I've started watching the Abroad in Japan YouTube channel.  So much fun and interesting.  (There is foul language, as a warning).  Just last weekend I've discovered the world of Japanese 3D sugar cookies, and they're amazing.  You can check out the Whip Sugar Icingcookies channel to see the edible wonders.  Mrs Eats is another fun channel.  

I dream one day of being able to see the world again.  Looking forward to watching the Olympics.  I hope they happen.  

For now I'm enjoying reliving memories.

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment