Thursday, July 9, 2020

Escaping to the Mountains


A nice respite these last few months has been the ability to escape into the mountains.  When I lived in Porterville CA my Mom and I would drive around the Sierra Nevada foothills, and sometimes head directly into the forest.  Now I live next to the Wasatch Mountains, which are rugged and beautiful.

Sometimes we drive up to Heber and back.  Though, for the first time, my Mom and I decided to drive to Wallsburg Utah, which, instead of driving past Deer Creek, there's a road that takes you to Wallsburg next to the reservoir.  It's like stepping back in time.  Open fields, many of which have horses and cows, with hills on either side.  Every home has a propane tank.  And there's an old brick abandoned building with 1904 at the top.  Driving there is a nice little getaway.

Also, in the last month, my Mom and I drove up to Heber, got milkshakes, drove past Heber a little, and then drove through Midway while heading back to Provo Canyon.  I've lived in Utah just shy of two decades and I've never visited Midway.  It's a charming little place.  When things normalize I definitely want to explore some of the restaurants and stores, see if there's anything interesting.

You know, I haven't been to Park City since 2018 when Tata Patou, my Mom's best friend who is like an Aunt to me, was visiting from France.  It's this super touristy place I just can't get into.  It's kinda hoity-toity.  I like places that are more down to Earth.

Anywho, it's just really nice having nature real close.  Between mountains and beaches I can't pick a favorite, but nothing quite matches the sight of pine trees with the soft sounds of a river.

No comments:

Post a Comment