Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Finally Finding One of My Favorite Soundtracks: The Secret World of Arrietty


 Every now and then a movie produces a soundtrack that touches the heart and soul in various ways.  Some soundtracks inspire a generation.  Star Wars was one of those iconic soundtracks.  Growing up I was enchanted by Chariots of Fire, Field of Dreams, and the original Muppet Movie.  Then it was Ever After, Emma (Gwyneth Paltrow), A Little Princess, and Sense and Sensibility.  In college I was addicted to the first Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack; Barbossa Is Hungry was played on loop (I have vivid memories carrying my discman around campus, perfectly balanced, steady steps, so the CD wouldn't skip).

For some reason soundtracks haven't really caught my attention all that much in this last decade, but when I heard The Secret World of Arrietty, a movie by Hayao Miyazaki, about eight years ago, the songs jumped off the screen full of enchantment.  The music doesn't sound typical Miyazaki, instead it's whimsical Celtic by Cecile Corbel.  The very first time I heard the music I wanted the soundtrack, but couldn't find it, and that was even after visiting Japan.  Guess I was looking in all the wrong places.  But a few weeks ago I finally found it, by accident, on the Amazon Market Place under the title: Karigurashi No Arrietty.  It arrived in the mail yesterday, and it really is simply whimsical and enchanting.  Celtic is such happy music.

 (As a side note, I'm listening to the Field of Dreams soundtrack off of YouTube, that's another hard one to get, and it's bringing back so many memories.  So haunting.)



No comments:

Post a Comment