Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Circle, mini movie review


Rating: D-

I wasted my life watching this movie.  Wasted my life out of curiosity.  Curiosity killed the cat.  Maybe I should count my blessings?

Emma Watson stars in this book to movie adaptation.  Tom Hanks is in it, too.  For this reason people probably scrambled to see The Circle.  If you haven't, good for you, go see something better.

Emma, aka Mea, works at a boring call center as her father struggles with an illness.  She wants to get a job at The Circle where her friend, Dr. Who companion Karen Gillan, aka Annie, works and lives a successful lifestyle traveling the World.  The Circle, which is part tech company and social media company (in which I was at first confused, only that The Circle is simply THE GREATEST COMPANY EVER in mankind, forever more, and so forth, whatever.)

And so Emma, aka Mea, goes and uncovers stuff.  Goes transparent, which means she wears a camera at all time.  And gets sucked into this future idea of a global surveillance state, because, by golly, it's so much fun having people watch you all the time, you know, all those friends, all the time, watching your every move, because sharing is caring, and they can save your life while they're stealing it.

The ending of the movie is abrupt.  The audience felt it.  I could feel the confusion in the audience it was so thick.  This teenage girl sitting by my Mom actually asked her what she thought.  The girl gave it a D.  My Mom gave this movie an F.  The girl's parents didn't like it either.  I settled with a D- with unshed tears over time I'll never get back.

MPAA: PG-13 for a sexual situation, brief strong language and some thematic elements including drug use.

P.S. If you want to see a movie where someone is gradually sucked into an ideology, Blame it on Fidel! is a far more successful, chilling movie, in which I think The Circle was going for, but failed miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment