Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Blast From the Past! Babes in Toyland, 1990, Or, In Other Words, Realizing My Dad Wasn't As Old As I Thought He Was . . .


Today I spent some time going through folders in my file cabinet, organizing, when I stumbled upon this photo of my Dad, brother Michael and I.  We were posing for a photo for Babes in Toyland, a musical we three were in at Porterville College in 1990.  I was between the third and fourth grade.

Then I did the math . . .

If this was 1990, then my Dad was 34 years old in this photo!!!

34!!!!

That's how old I am now!!

Ah man!!

And I freaked out a little, or a lot.

It's just weird.

I don't feel nearly as old as my Dad seemed when I was eight.

This was the very first community theater I had ever been in.  My brother's first as well.  My Dad did a school play or two when he was at Buena High School, really need to get more information on that, but I don't think he had done community theater.  Anyhoo!  Ah man . . .

I remember so much about this experience.  A flier was passed around at school, which is how I found out.  My Dad took us to the audition, signed us up, and we left.  I didn't even get to audition, didn't really know what that was about, but when we left I saw kids getting up to sing solos and I wanted to stay and sing.  My Dad wanted to get out of there and not deal with the hassle, I guess.  Assuming.  So I got cast as a French Doll.  Because there weren't a lot of boys my brother got to be one of the Piper children.  In short, more scenes.

Back stage, in the long hallway, there were a whole lot of chairs.  Most of the time we were asked to sit quietly on the chairs as we waited for our scenes.  Since I weren't in many I spent a lot of time in that hallway, and somehow I got to avoid sitting in those seats.  I spent a lot of time in the makeup room with the adults trying on wigs.

Fun times.

The next year my Dad and I did Show Boat.  And for that, oddly enough, my fondest memory was going to the cafeteria on campus and getting pieces of Red Vines for a nickle or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment