Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Forming Permanent New Years Resolutions


In the past I've been yin and yang when it comes to New Years resolutions.  On one end I've been like, "Resolutions should happen all year long, don't limit change to the first of the year."  And at other times I'm attempting everything but the kitchen sink on January the first.

This year I'm trying to find the happy medium: Change, but take it bit by bit.  Forgive, move on, and try again.  (And then I hear Yoda in my mind say, "Do or do not, there is no try." -_-;;  Sometimes you have to get through the trying to find yourself in the doing.  It's a process.)

For starters one of my resolutions is to blog more.  I've slacked, but not for a lack of ideas, I've got so many, and so many pictures and experiences and thoughts I want to share.  The last half of this last year went way too fast and there was just a lot going on.  My goal is to blog a minimum of 4 times a week, sometimes more.  That's a good place to start.

But my other goals?  It's really a day to day thing.  I need to develop positive habits.  Develop and strengthen positive habits to replace bad habits.  My brother recommended I buy and read the book The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg.  My brother was positively influenced by this book and so I'm going to read it this month.

With my other goals I wrote out a giant list of over 30 items.  It would be an overwhelming list if it wasn't for the fact that I'm not tackling it all at once.  I entered the list in a word document, created spaces for check marks, another space to write in the date, and each day I check what I've done.  It's a way to monitor what I'm doing vs. not doing.  What I can improve upon or get back to.  When I do certain things, or when it's been too long since I've done one of the items.  Really, overall, it's about developing positive daily habits.  A change of life.  Not, "I'll do something for a month or two and then stop."  These are things I want to learn to do naturally, if that makes any sense.

After putting my list together I ventured unto Facebook.  One of my friends shared this anonymous quote: "You will never change your life until you change something you do daily.  The secret of your success is found in your daily routine."  So my New Years resolution is developing and improving my daily routine.

There's so much I want to do with my music and with Talea.  I've got big goals this year, but there's a saying I've got backwards: Can't See the Forest for The Trees.  I have a habit of focusing on the forest, and not seeing the trees at all, but all goals and dreams are a process.  You don't just find yourself at the end.  What would be the worth in that?  Accomplishing goals is a process, a journey, full of ups and downs, heartaches and triumphs.  This year I'm embracing the journey, the path, and the daily doings we must pass through to make dreams possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment