Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, mini movie review


Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5.

We've got superheros!  We've got mutants!  We've got superheros who are mutants!  And now we have Peculiar Children.  Strange children with creepy abilities.  Strange enough that no one but the likes of Tim Burton should bring them to us in a strange, haunted dream.  Peculiar children are hidden throughout the World, protecting them from those who would prefer them dead, and somehow Jake, played by , is brought to their war.  Jake is a normal teenager from Florida, hot humid Florida.  Sorry Florida, you get picked on a little in this movie.  Then one day Jake's very normal life turns crazy after his Grandfather is attacked.  A message found in a Ralph Waldo Emerson book sends Jake on an adventure towards his life purpose with the Peculiars.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is strange.  Too strange.  Almost creepy goth side-show strange.  Where did the teenager get all those hearts that reanimates bodies?  The bad guys feasting on eyeballs was a step too far for my likes. I wanted to like this movie.  I really, really did.  I had high hopes.

The movie is sprinkled with opportunity and potential.  Missed opportunities and potential are found in a slow paced opening, awkward storytelling, and rough acting.  The music during a carnival fight scene was just odd.  Not good odd.  Take me out of the moment, cock my head to the side puzzled odd.  By that point I was waiting for the movie to end.

For those liking the odd, you'll find it here.  There are moments to enjoy.  For me I'm perfectly fine with a single viewing.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of fantasy action/violence and peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment