Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Great American Melodrama & Vaudeville

 
In the quaint little ocean town of Oceano California you can find The Great American Melodrama & Vaudeville.  I've been going for at least a decade, thanks to my Grandpa who's a loyal patron.  One year managing to see every show that season.  Quite a feat for someone who lives in Utah!

The shows are performed by professionals, and after every stage show is a vaudeville.  Don't think 1920's, the Vaudeville's are fresh and fun.  (Heh, well, this one time they did a vaudeville about a group of senior citizens who lived in an old folks home.  That was . . . interesting.)  But the last show I saw a couple weeks back had the vaudeville theme of "Technology 3.0."  It was great.

Talking about the show I saw a couple weeks back.  I'm always reviewing movies, but I don't talk about the stage shows I attend.  The show I saw at the Melodrama was so phenomenal I have to comment!  It's their best yet!!  Literally.

"Around the World in 80 Days!"

Based on the novel by Jules Verne, and taking place in the Victorian era.

From their website: "Stampeding elephants!  Runaway trains!  Unabashedly slapstick!  Hold on to your seats for the original amazing race!  Join fearless adventurer Phileas Fogg and his faithful manservant as they race to circle the globe in an unheard-of 80 days.  Danger, romance and comic surprises abound in this whirlwind of a show as five actors portraying 39 characters traverse seven continents!  This wacky, 90 miles an hour adventure is a ton of fun for all ages!"

Amazing.  Fresh.  Fun.  Creative.

Their use of stage sets and transitions were brilliant.  The jokes fun.  The performances top notch.  Honestly.  My family is still talking about the show and how much we LOVED it.  We're hard to please and quick to critique.

So if you find yourself in the beautiful Central California coast from now until June 15, I highly recommend you stop by The Great American Melodrama.

Great time guaranteed :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment