Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You Know A Book is Well Loved When . . .


The Princess Bride!  Amazing movie!  It's a classic, and anyone who hasn't seen it needs to.  So many great one liners, and it makes me want to learn sword fighting . . . with both hands, because becoming a right handed master swordsman isn't enough.

If anything it's a fantastic story, which I believe I became acquainted with the movie during my Sophomore year of High School.  My friends found the book a year or so later.  Since we went to school in California, in which all the schools are outdoor, there was this tree we ate lunch under.  It was our tree.  During our Princess Bride period we would pass the book around, reading out loud between bites of sandwich, giggling like crazy.  The Princess Bride is like that.  Giggle worthy, and it's a perfect reading out loud book.

The first chapter isn't in the movie at all.  It's there we learn the history of all the beautiful women before Buttercup, and so forth, and that Florin existed before Europe, but after Paris.  And we learn about boys:

"The boys.  The Village boys.  The beef-witted  featherbrained  rattleskulled  clodpated  sim-domed noodle-noggined  sapheaded  lunkknobbed boys." 

My friend Freda had that line memorized and would repeat it on occasion; that's because the line is true.

I seriously recommend everyone read The Princess Bride.  It's a great, fun read.  The movie's great, a lot like the book, only there's more in the book.  And you can see how often I've read it, because the cover fell off!  I've lent it out many times as well.

So if you need a little humor in your life, and a whole lot of literary fun, may I recommend The Princess Bride.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment