Thursday, January 19, 2012

A funny picture and Music's pathway


I took this picture on day 5 of my photo challenge, but got so caught up with the birds and their music, I choose one of those pictures instead.  But on the way to Church last Sunday this "Lost" paper was taken down.  Anyway, I found it super hilarious and wanted to share it.

A couple nights ago, right before drifting to sleep, I lay there listening to David Wilcox's "Live Songs and Stories."  I love his music; he's an expert lyricist and guitarist.  I've never been to one of his concerts, though I hope I'll get the chance one day, so this album is the closest I can get at this time.  Anyway, on one of the tracks he was speaking, and what he said hit home with me, and Dream Maze, the song I just put online, and the fears and hopes I have for it.  What David said comforted me:

“Maybe music doesn't stand a chance. I mean, I can make sound. I have vocal chords. I have strings. I can make sound. Who needs sound? We need music, and music is much bigger then that. Music is Timing with a capital “T.” Music is hearing a song that sounds like your song, 'cause it's just what you've been dreaming of, or thinking of, or praying for. Suddenly it's speaking right to you. Sure, there's all these other people here, but they're just superfluous. It's your song. It was meant just for you. And it hits home, and it's real, 'cause it's coming from someplace much bigger.

“But in that place you look around, and you think, 'Oh Man, there's no chance for this to happen. There's so many distractions.' There's always distractions. All you can do is send it out. I think Sting's analogy of songs is a great one, saying it's like a message in a bottle. You take all your best hopes and dreams, and send it out in a bottle. Toss it in the ocean. Who ever gets it, and when they get it, well, it has more to do with the ocean then it has to do with you. That's good, the ocean can be trusted. The timing is right.” ~ David Wilcox.

Then after this he sang "Show the Way," which has got to be one of the most brilliant songs ever written.

But the Ocean can be trusted, and trust it I will.

Always, 
Sarah

2 comments: