Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Disney Store, the Death of an Era

It's no secret on this blog my love for Disney things.  When I was a kid the Bakersfield mall had a Disney Store.  It was a special place, magic outside of the parks.  A taste of Disneyland without the distance.  The store was an hour drive and all trips into the city involved a mall stop.

A few months ago the University Mall Disney Store closed.  It was sad, but at least the SLC store remained opened.  That was until I saw a news story stating that it would be closing in September.  Search "Disney Store Closing," and several stories, across the United States, will pop up.

There's two silly things I like to do when I travel internationally: Find a McDonald's to eat a Big Mac and go into a Disney Store.  I gave up a tour of the Opera de Paris to visit a Disney Store (debating if I regret that), but I've been to two Disney Stores in Tokyo, one in Dublin, York England outside the Shambles, and Cardiff Wales.  They were fun to step into and see if there were exclusive merchandise.  Tokyo has the BEST Disney merchandise.  Dublin had a cute set of Mickey and Minnie stuff seeing local sights and a shamrock.  Paris had a Tinker Bell candle you could only buy in their store.  

It's all a little melancholy.  The parks are getting more and more unattainable.  So expensive.  The Holiday Inn next to the Mickey and Friends parking garage at Disneyland is permanently closed.  All those memories.  Opening the curtains to watch cars drive up the ramps before heading to the parks, something I'll never do again.  It's true what they say: You never know the last time you do something.  You never know to take a step back in such moments and let them sink in, feeling them, saying goodbye.  That's the hard part, not being able to say goodbye. 

(I just did a search, and the Holiday Inn reopened!!!  And the guy on the IHG phoneline many, many months ago said it wouldn't.  Happy Days!!!  Some good news.  It's just so well located and reassembly priced. It's the one on South Walnut.  I want to go to Disneyland so bad right now.  Dang it.)

Well, I'm a little sad.  All good things must come to an end.  Toys "R" Us is closed. Pier 1 and Sizzlers closed as well.  I hate change.  Oh, I do.  

Disney Store, I'll miss you.  Shopping online isn't the same.

Sarah

P.S. Listening to "Someday" from the Hunchback of Notre Dame musical, performed by Ciara Renee and Andrew Samonsky.  I dare you to sing along with it and not cry.  Impossible!!!  Also, there needs to be more alto songs.  Got to embrace the ones we're given.  I should write some.


No comments:

Post a Comment