Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Getting Off the Intermittent Fasting Bandwagon

I promise this is the last health post I do until next month!!  It's been pretty much all I've been thinking about.

Also, I should note, I'm not a health expert or dietician, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I'm just someone figuring stuff out.

I've been intermittent fasting since the start of the pandemic.  All through Spring, Summer, and up till now I've only been eating two meals.  All through spring I wasn't eating out and was eating home cooked meals.  Learned how to make chicken milanese, which is yummy.  During this time I was off and on again with sugar.  My exercise was a mess up till these last few months.  What happened?  I gained pandemic weight, and this weight didn't come off until I upped my walking and went without sugar sweets for 7 weeks.  Intermittent fasting did nothing for me.

Why I wanted to intermittent fast:  One is because I don't like eating breakfast.  Breakfast is annoying, so a way of eating that gets rid of my least favorite meal was alluring.  Also, intermittent fasting helps stabilize blood sugar levels.  Eating throughout the day, mini meals, causes insulin levels to remain high.

What I've learned along the way:  Now, this is a collection of stuff from random sources, so check all this information out yourself.   Intermittent fasting can help get rid of fat, but it also eats away from lean muscle as well, which isn't good.  As a women I.F. affects hormones, so I've had issues in this area.  There's more reasons than this, but if you're concerned it's probably better to seek out a more trustworthy source than I, though there are experts on both sides of the aisle.  It comes down to finding what is best for you.

All I know is that intermittent fasting doesn't work for me.  It works for many, I'm just not one.  Getting reacquainted with breakfast will be a challenge, as I have food allergies tied to many morning foods.   Maybe I should just eat non breakfast food for breakfast.  Chili is yummy.  Also, I made steal cut oats for breakfast.  Takes forever to make, but it's a good morning option.  

Really, my goal is to develop a good balanced way of eating that's healthy, practical, and manageable.  I don't want any extremes, just good habits while being realistic. 

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment