Saturday, September 26, 2020

Accessories from American Girl's Newest Historical Character: Courtney from 1986

 Courtney is American Girl's latest historical doll, coming to us from 1986.  She's a gamer, loving to spend time at the arcade in the mall, has seen Star Wars dozens of times, loves The Goonies, and is sad when she can't go over to her friends house to play the new Super Mario Brother's game.

With the release of every new character comes the doll, countless clothes, and accessories.  I didn't get the doll or clothes, but I did get four accessory sets and book.
 

The book, front and back.  There's only one book, though there will be a second book, yet to be announced.  Courtney Changes the Game only has 120 pages, which is short compared to Nanea's, Melody, and Maryellen's original first book.  Nanea's first book originally had 216 pages, though there were no pictures, but it was shortened to 144 pages with pictures for a re-release.  That seems the direction American Girl wants to take the books.  I do like the pictures in Courtney Changes the Game, it's just a shame that fleshed out stories will suffer because of it.  There's so much more material in the original American Girl books.

Courtney's Care Bears Sleeping Bag Set: $36

I was quite the Care Bear fan girl growing up.  I had the pajamas, bed comforter, bears, and other odds and ends.  And this sleeping bag looks really, really familiar.  I don't know if it's based off of an actual item from the past, but I swear I had this as a kid.  Such a flashback.


Comparing American Girls Bedtime Bear to World's Smallest Tenderheart Bear, as I've seen many people online mention that they have the World's Smallest Care Bears.  Just showing that there is a size difference between the two, though Care Bears come in many sizes, so it's all good, and World's Smallest has a nice variety.

Courtney's School Supplies: $30

No, these aren't Lisa Frank--that would have been cool--though these seem to be modeled after the popular stationary line.  This comes with a binder, 2 folders, paper, erasers, sticker sheet, pencil case, and pencil's.  I loved me some Lisa Frank in the day, and was obsessed with her dolphin line.  That would have been amazing, but licensing and all that.  I love the pencil case, as I loved this style of case when I was younger.  Brings back so many memories.  Be careful when opening it as the connecting plastic seems fragile and thin.





 Courtney's PAC-MAN Lunch Set: $25.

I love this so much!  On my first day of school, Kindergarten, I had a plastic lunchbox.  Don't remember the character, but light blue box color comes to mind.  And on the first day of school my Mom took me to a corner gas station store and bought me chocolate milk, and then poured it into my thermos.  It's such a nice memory, and I felt super special.

This set comes with a thermos where the lid twists off.  Unfortunately you can't put the food items and thermos in the lunch box at the same time.  Then there's a ham and cheese sandwich, wrapped brownie, cheese puffs, and apple slices.

This was literally my lunch, though with a peanut butter sandwich instead, from elementary through college.  PB sandwich, a Sara Lee snack, Apple or other fruit, and some form of chips (cheese puffs did make it in the lunch a few times).  Our family couldn't afford the hot lunch, so everyday, except for when the cafeteria did that square size pizza, I was a cold lunch girl.  And I can't eat peanut butter sandwiches anymore because of it, except on certain occasions, but it saved me so much money in high school and college.

So much fun!




 

Courtney's Sleepover Accessory Set: $50

This is my favorite set.  The boombox requires 3 AAA batteries.  You can turn the dial and it makes radio sounds.  It comes with 4 mini cassette tapes, and each side plays a song when it's in the machine.  They're original songs, a mix of vocal and instrumental, with an 80's flare.  Think Tiffany not Chicago.  Unfortunately there isn't an AUX hole to connect it with a device, like Nanea's 1940's radio has.  It's fun playing swing music on it.  So I was hoping there was a way to connect a device to the boombox, but there isn't.  Am I the only one who keeps an aux cable at the ready?

There's also a bowl of tortilla chips, a couple fruit punch cans, a doodle book with drawings on every page plus a pen, and a cootie catcher.  The back side of the cootie catcher had the instructions, but I still got confused.  I forgot how to make them!!!!  So I had to look it up on YouTube. -_-;; Heh.

(I somehow got on a YouTube channel that's playing random 80's songs, and Glory of Love from Karate Kid II is playing.  Memories!!  You know, I never saw that movie, but this song got SO MUCH airplay.  We Built This City just came on!  Gah!  I'm losing it!  How can I not dance around!!!??? Best. Song. Ever.)






So tiny.




And just the little pamphlet that came with the sets.

 
Definitely a trip down memory lane.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment