Friday, September 18, 2020

A Couple Random Thoughts: September Edition

It's been awhile, hasn't it?

I needed a little break.  Get off the net.  Think a little.  I didn't leave town or anything.  That hasn't happened since February.  To say I'm feeling restless in this isolation is an understatement.  I'm aching to get out of Dodge.

My workspace has been discombobulated as I've been rearranging and switching things up in my room, so my laptop got tucked away, and it was nice keeping it out of sight.  

Life has been life.  Found out a couple weeks ago what was wrong with my car: crack in the fuel pump.  I would have preferred a deadening battery or starter.  The repair would have been cheaper.  And a day after that was fixed I woke up early morning to find a large puddle in the middle of the kitchen floor emanating from the fridge.  The compressor went out.  A mad dash to save as much food as possible followed.  This last Monday the fridge was finally fixed.  

The weather has been strange around here.  It's fire season, a particularly bad fire season, and as the case is with fire season the valley in which I live is socked in with smoke.  Some years are better than others.  It's always nice when we get a little rain and wind to blow it out, and then it settles right back in.  Well, last week we had a nice little wind storm.  So nice that Salt Lake Valley and northwards reached Hurricane Level 2 winds.  One place got up to 112 miles per hour.  Where I live it only got up to about 30 mph, thanks to the mountain range, but northwards has been struggling.  Lots of damage mixed with days without power.  Though something weird happened.  Before the wind the air was smokey and hot with temps in the 90's.  The day after the weather was a chilly 46 at midday, flurries drifting from the sky.  The air was clean again.  It was nice getting a brake from the heat.

Oh, I saw "TENET" a few days ago.  So confusing!  I was like... :\ .  And even after reading an explanation of what happened in the movie I'm still like... :\ .  Honestly, I do get what was going on after replaying stuff through my mind, and I get what the director was trying to achieve, but overall it felt clunky.  Quick scene jumps.  Muddled explanations.  Unpleasant holes.  Time creating paradox problems, and not the good kind.  I probably need to see it again, if only I wanted to.

American Girl finally released their new historical doll: Courtney.  1986.  My childhood is now historic.  And the doll's accessories is a giant pile of nostalgic goodness.  I ordered the accessories and book, not the doll or clothes.  Should be here within a couple weeks.  And I'm kinda regretting spending all that money.  I'm kinda laughing at how ridiculous I feel for ordering them: mini boombox, mini Pac Man lunch box, Lisa Frank stationary, Care Bear sleeping bag.  Okay, writing all that out, huh.  I'm looking forward to reading her story.  She's eight years old in the book, whereas I was three at the time.  A spoiler hint that I've picked up from the website is that the Challenger space mission will be a plot point, and Courtney loves gaming, Star Wars, etc.  She's a nerd.  In short, she's my kind of gal.  It will be fun reading her story.

Funny enough I remember the Challenger explosion, only I don't know how old I was when I saw it.  Was it live?  Was it a documentary?  But I have a vivid memory of the explosion and the way the smoke split.  I remember feeling shocked, regardless.  I do have a few memories from that time, so it's possible, and my earliest memory goes back to before I was one years old.  I only remember it because it's the first thing my Dad recorded.  That home video was played over and over, cementing the memory.  Christmas day.  My Dad pulling out his guitar and my parents singing Christmas songs.  I don't remember those details, those I get from the video.  What I remember was what I felt.  Music awoke my spirit.  And I knew, whatever it was my parents were doing, I needed that.  It was important to me.  I needed that music.  I wanted to be apart of the music.

Anywho, I talked with my brother Michael a couple nights ago to game plan and set goals for our podcast.  We're aiming for launching in mid-October.  That date looks good.  It's always possible we'll hit a couple bumps, but we've recorded quite a few episodes, so fingers crossed it all goes as planned.

Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment