Saturday, October 28, 2017

Awesome Sauce, For Real, But really, just the Funny Things We Say. Wendy's.


Awesome Sauce!

It's something I say, on occasion, when I really like something, or simply approve.

There's also Crazy Sauce.

Because sauce can be both awesome and crazy, sometimes at the same time.  But, as far as I know, there isn't a scary sauce, or freaky sauce, or stupid sauce, just sauce of the crazy and awesome variety.

Just a couple days ago I was thinking about this.  Thinking of some of the expressions that are time or era specific.  Some phrases that are still in style in the States, such as calling something awesome or cool, or people Dude, stuff like that.  And then other words that have passed, such as Rad, though I personally have never called something rad.  And now I want to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles . . .

Back to awesome sauce.

I was thinking about it, and wondering how popular or unpopular it was.  It's a phrase that became popular here in Utah.  Or maybe to close friends and family?  I haven't a clue!  Though I was watching T.V. once and heard someone say Awesome Sauce on a show, which leads me to believe that this saying is popular elsewhere.

Out of curiosity I looked up the origin of Awesome Sauce, and according to Urban Dictionary it might have started with Strong Bad, on HomeStarRunner.com, with the email video "Funny," where awesome sauce is mentioned as a cleaning product.  (I haven't visited that site in forever!  Brings back memories. It used to be quite popular, especially in these parts, which might explain how Awesome Sauce took off locally.)

Anywho, I went to Wendy's to get some chicken nuggets, and they offered awesome sauce.  So now it's a real thing, only it's referred to as "Side of S'awesome Sauce."  I don't understand that "S".  Also, I have no idea if periods are supposed to be inside or outside quotation marks.

Awesome sauce, it turns out, tastes like a creamy, tangy sweet BBQ sauce.

Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment