Monday, February 6, 2017

Getting Sentimental Over Old School 1980's Strawberry Shortcake


 Strawberry Shortcake!!  1980's style!  Just as I remember her.

Early last December, while Christmas Shopping at Toys R Us, I stumbled upon these classic Strawberry Shortcake dolls and friends.  This brought back so many memories.

I don't like the latest incarnation of Strawberry.


Her style seems so cold and boring.

For the longest time I tried to remember what Strawberry was like when I was a kid.  She was cute and adorable, smelled of strawberries, and was one of my favorite toys.  The 1980's had so many wonderful toys and shows: Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Gem, and the original My Little Pony (though I do like the new version).

I was worried the only place I would find old school Strawberry was at an antique shop, which is where I found one back in High School, but I couldn't afford the price.

Strawberry has now been re-released in all her cuteness!





 So, so cute!




On Facebook someone posted a video showing pages of an early 1980's Christmas Catalogue.

(Man, I remember looking through the JCPenney's Christmas Catalogue as a kid, making up a wish list.  Can't remember if I got anything from it, but dreaming is part of the fun.  You know, when I was in High School I remember ordering a couple special edition Barbies, but the memory is really faint.)

In one of the videos was the Strawberry Shortcake dollhouse!  I about died!  For my fourth birthday I got it, and boy was I excited.  I even remember my Dad putting it together.  That thing lasted for many years, until my brother Steven, who is 6 years younger than me, was old enough to walk and stomped all over it.  Sad day.



I would have loved to buy all the dolls I saw at Toys R Us, but money and space wouldn't allow it, so I got these three.  Such a cute reminder of my past.

Cute, cute, cute.

Cute, cute . . . cute, cute!

Cute.

There, sugar overload finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment