Thursday, July 28, 2016

Never Be Afraid of the Truth; Never Be Afraid of Starting Again


Miss Stacey: Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, Anne.  You see it frightens them, so they put up walls to protect themselves from it.  What we must bear in mind is that all these trails and tribulations that pop up in our lives, well they serve a very useful purpose.  They build character, as long as we can hold unto the lessons we've learned from our mistakes.  Remember, you can always start everything afresh tomorrow.

Anne Shirley: That is a tremendous consolation Miss Stacey.  Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.

Miss Stacey: Well, with no mistakes in it, yet.  As far as the truth goes, don't lose heart.

~ Anne of Green Gables, second part, right after the Intermission.

I love this movie so, so much.  Every year I watch it, and just recently I watched this movie with a good friend and my sister-in-law Lindsay.  The scene typed above is my favorite.  Whenever I struggle with my weaknesses and mistakes I repeat the line, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it."

I've grown up repeating this line, but when I saw this scene I've always somehow missed the first lesson Miss Stacey was expressing to Anne.  And with everything I'm experiencing personally, and with what I'm seeing in the World, I'm very grateful for these words.

With the dozens of times I've watched this movie I've missed those lines.  Maybe my mind just always went silent, waiting for my most favorite line.  Or maybe it represents where I am now, personally.  Maybe I'm finally ready to let some things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment