Monday, July 27, 2015

What I've Learned While Earning a Yellow Belt in Taekwondo


This last quarter was a tough one.

 I was super motivated while earning my white/yellow belt.  Had really good attendance.  Etc, etc.  But these last few months hit me pretty hard, and attending class became a struggle.  I only attended one of technique sections, and completely missed the poomsea and self defense section.  A week before testing I only had 9 attendance days in 3 months, a minimum of 16 attendance days is required to test, so in a week I made up those final 7 hours and passed off each section.

I was so close to quitting.

Both my Mom and my brother Robbie dropped out.  Taekwondo isn't a good fit for my Mom.  She prefers other sports.  My brother Robbie is getting married in a few months, so his priorities have shifted.  Now it's just my brother Michael and I.  He's loving it, so it's a fun activity we both enjoy.

I'm glad I fought through the feelings of quitting.  Quitting is never worth it.  I wouldn't know what could have been if I didn't follow through.  Earning a black belt isn't easy.  Man, all those mental blocks I'm working through.  There's so many.  Ehhhh, and I worry about injury.  I've heard so many stories of getting injured in Taekowndo from my classmates.  I don't want to brake a toe.  Or bust a knee.  Got to remember the proper way of doing all those various kicks.  And remember the proper techniques.

Oh!  And I got Best Tester again!

Ha!

The power of sticking it through!

And now I've started board braking.  Wow, oh wow.

3 comments:

  1. NIce! I think I would feel like a weirdo if I tried to do martial arts. I'm not exactly coordinated, and tend to fall down a lot, so I think I'll stick with walking until I'm sure I've got that down. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They start you out with the basics and you learn balance along the way. It's fun. But I love walking, too, and there's so many nice places to go walking here in Utah :0)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete