Friday, June 6, 2014

My Experience at the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals in Ames Iowa


 It's crazy to think that just a week ago I was sitting at a table judging Problem 5, div. II at the Odyssey of the Mind World competition.

Just a week ago!

I've dreamed of World's, barely missing out my senior year in High School when our team placed 3rd at the California State competition.  So, so close.

I never dreamed an opportunity would present itself in the form of being an official.

Goodness, this last week was such a privilege.


 What is Odyssey of the Mind?  It's a creative solution program for those kindergarten through college.  There's a long term problem (Problem 1: Vehicles, Problem 2: Technical, Problem 3: Classics, Problem 4: Structure, and Problem 5: Performance.)  And there's a short spontaneous problem that the teams get on the day of competition.

There's something for everyone.

It's best just to watch:

 This is a montage of all the problems at World Finals this year.



Waiting for opening ceremonies while watching all the teams head inside.


Utah!



 My home for three days :0)


 I helped judge Problem 5 Division II (middle school), which was called "Seeing is Believing."  Problem 5 is the performance category.  From the website:

"In this problem teams are to create and present an original performance about a community that feels threatened by something in a location it has never visited. The community townspeople will use a creative method to select one or more Travelers to visit and explore the location. While at the location, a Traveler will use a means of communication to send a message home to convince the community that there is nothing to fear. The performance will also include a narrator character, two rhymes about the travels, and a moving set piece."



 The winning team who came all the way from Poland.

It was so much seeing all the creative ways each team solved this problem.  One team had a group of retired rockers (Gene Simmons, Cher, Elvis, etc) who feared the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic phenomenon.  Another team were deer who feared the moon because many of their friends were killed by headlights (their giant pop-up book style back drop made out of cardboard was really cool).  Another team feared a land of homophones because that land was stealing their identities.  Really funny.  Treble clefs fearing the bass clef, only to meet up at middle C.  Black and White worlds fearing color.  Just a lot of fun :0) 


 The AMAZING judging team I got to be apart of.  Everyone was truly amazing.  It felt like an amazing family I was privileged to be apart of.  They are the icing, the cherry on top, and what made this week so wonderful.  I just realized our gallant leader, aka Head Judge, isn't in this picture!  What's up with that?

Off to find another picture . . . okay, here you go.


They've already announced the 2014-2015 problem synopsis for next year.  Problem 5 is going to be So Much Fun :0)

"Problem 5: Silent Movie
Divisions I, II, III & IV
Lights, camera...action! In this problem teams will create and present a performance depicting a Director character that produces and presents a silent movie featuring a humorous villain character that commits three silly acts of “villainy”. Characters that are in the movie may not speak as part of the presentation of the movie. Instead, like classic silent films, the team will use music played on a team-created instrument and creatively displayed subtitles to convey its story to the audience and judges. Also, teams will use a signal to indicate when the movie begins and ends."

Doesn't that sound awesome?!

A lot of the other problems sound fun too.  Classics, Problem 3, is Pandora's box meet video games. You can read the other problems here.


 Pin trading!!!!!!  It's a sport all unto itself at Worlds!!!  I didn't come prepared with enough pins.  I'm buying more Utah pins next year to bring to Worlds :0)






 I have a story for every pin, which I'll later jot down for my journal :0)


 My view from the hotel.  I spent a couple late afternoons relaxing, just watching the outside.  I love a good view.


My friend and I heading into the closing ceremonies, surreal that everything was coming to an end. 

 A team from Utah won an Omer award!  The Omer award is like the "grace under fire" award.  It's for those who truly embody the spirit of Odyssey of the Mind, finding creative solutions to problems, the unexpected, or other opportunities.  Turning lemons into lemonade in a fantastic way.  From the odyssey website:

"Weilenmann School of Discovery, Park City UT Problem 2, Division I
In the early portion of their long-term presentation, this first-year Division I team had their entire backdrop slowly collapse on top of the characters. As this occurred, instead of panicking, one team member exclaimed “Hurricane!” and collapsed to the floor with the set. Other team members quickly began acting similarly with comments of the “destroyed house.” Unable to get the backdrop fully reassembled, they smiled and said “Here it comes again!!” This team embodied the true spirit of Odyssey by taking the problem in-stride. By remaining upbeat with a positive outlook, they turned what should have been a tragedy into one of the funniest skits of the day."


 I knew pin trading was a big deal, but I didn't know trading shirts was something a lot of people did, too!  It typically happens after closing ceremonies.  I heard the Official shirt was one of the shirts kids really want.  I didn't need another shirt for myself (I got a beautiful North Carolina shirt earlier that week), so I decided to trade two of my three official shirts for kid sizes, to give away at the Utah State Competition.

I decided to meander out of the giant inclosed stadium, finding myself behind a team from Mexico. I noticed one girl with a bunch of shirts, so I asked her if she wanted to trade.  She already had an official shirt, but her coach quickly realized what was going on, and spoke in Spanish to another girl.  She perked up and went for her bag, asking in broken English if I wanted a green shirt or a white shirt.  I asked to look at them and decided on the green.  Really great design.  The trade was made, and she was giddy as the group left.

Quickly a girl from Poland came over, asking if I was trading the other official shirt, and I said I was, and would make a trade if she had a shirt.  In a flash the trade was made, and she ran off, even more excited then the girl from Mexico, if that was possible :0)

I looked down then and noticed the Polish shirt was a sweaty large, not a good size for a kid.  And on the back of the shirt said "Damb," the name of the school I believe, which probably wouldn't go over well with some parent in Utah.

At the closing party my friends Mom, a coach from Arizona, spent the night trading shirts.  She's crazy good at it!!!  Amongst the growing pile of OotM shirts I spotted a small Oklahoma shirt, their 35 anniversary tee with a candy crusher theme.  Perfect!  And the trade was made.


 Speaking about the closing, recovering party: It was amazing!  I was picturing the party taking place in a room.  This was not what I was expecting.  Totally overwhelming and awesome.





 The crowning experience of the week was spent on top of a Ferris wheel.  Can't complain.


When we got back from the party there was a pile of Thank You cards from the kids, thanking us for volunteering.  Honestly, everything I do with Odyssey of the Mind is volunteer, but through experience, watching the kids be creative, I feel I've gotten so much in return.  So much more then I given.

This is an amazing program.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah
    What are the future advantages of participating in world final of odyssey of mind? Plz I am to plan because it's out of my pocket right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall future advantages? I'm not sure. But for the experience alone going to Worlds is great to do, even if it's once.

      Delete