Tuesday, December 10, 2013

200 Postcrossing Postcards Received!


I joined Postcrossing on September 28, 2011.  It wasn't until the beginning of July 2013 when I received my 100th postcard, 21 months after first signing up.  Here I am in November, 4 months since reaching my 100th postcard, and I received my 200th last week!

What is postcrossings?  It's an international postcard swap.  You sign up for an account, and when you first join you can only have up to 5 postcards out at a time.  Who you send to is completely random, and when you send a postcard you send an I.D. number unique to that postcard.  When it's received, that I.D. number is registered, and then you will randomly receive a postcard in return, from whomever is requesting to send a postcard at that time.  Who you receive from is also random.  You don't receive postcards from people you send to.  (You can if you wish, it's called a direct swap, but that's done privately and doesn't count towards your total.)  When you receive a postcard you register its I.D. number, and the sender will now randomly receive a postcard from anywhere in the World.

There are people from 216 different countries currently signed up: Russia is first (11.3%), followed by U.S.A (10%), China (9.4%), Taiwan (8.9%), Germany (7.7%), Netherlands (6.6%), Poland (5.2%), Ukraine (4.5%), Belarus (4%), etc, 21.6% making up the "other" category.

I've sent 216 registered postcards to 34 different countries. 3 postcards I've sent have expired, meaning they were sent, but never received, so I'm just out of luck.  5 postcards are still traveling (one postcard I sent to the Netherlands has been traveling 23 days.)  15 postcards are traveling to me, I just haven't received them yet.  The longest time period a registered postcard I've sent has traveled is 77 days, and that was to Russia.  The longest time period a postcard has traveled to me, also from Russia, was 193 days!  Crazy!  I don't understand how it got lost in the mail like that.

I've received 201 postcards from 36 different countries:

Australia: 3
Austria: 1
Belarus: 12
Belgium: 1
Brazil: 3
Bulgaria: 2
Canada: 6
China: 14
Czech Republic: 9
Estonia: 2
Finland: 6
France: 3
Germany: 21
Greece: 1
Hong Kong: 3
India: 1
Italy: 1
Japan: 3
Korea (South): 2
Latvia: 1
Lithuania: 2
Malaysia: 1
Netherlands: 20
New Zealand: 3
Norway: 2
Poland: 5
Portugal: 1
Russia: 25
Spain: 1
Switzerland: 2
Taiwan: 8
Thailand: 2
Turkey: 1
Ukraine: 13
U.S.A.: 14
United Kingdom: 6




Each stack represents a different Country.  I know I've received postcards from 36 Countries, and there's 37 stacks pictured.  I messed up while sorting them.

Needless to say, I'm addicted!  And I need to be careful, because it took me 4 months to achieve what at first took 22 months!  But then when you start out you're only allowed to send 5 postcards, and I'm at a point where I can have 13 postcards out at a time traveling . . . it sure adds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment