Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie Review


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars (It would be a 4.5 if it wasn't for the excessive handheld camera work in the first act.)

Yesterday I saw the Hunger Games on a spectacular IMAX screen.  You can find my review of the Hunger Games book series here, this review will focus mainly on the movie itself.

The basic premise of the books and movie is that this story takes place in a shattered future.  The United States is now Panem, and there are no States, only districts.  Each year 12 districts, there was a 13th district that was bombed, must offer a boy and a girl as tribute, and all 24 children, ranging in age between 12-18, must fight to the death, leaving a single victor.  The is done to oppress the districts, discourage revolution, and remind them that the revolution they attempted 75 years in their past was a total failure.  The Capitol has absolute power.  We follow Katniss, from district 12, and Peeta, another District 12 tribute, as they navigate the horrendous circumstances they've been trapped in, and their battle in the Hunger Games.   

I was not disappointed, and the film was worth the hype.  Were there scenes in the book left out? Sure, but this has got to be one of the best book to film adaptations I've seen.  At first I was worried that a book written in first person perspective wouldn't translate well, but it was nice seeing throughout the movie what the Hunger Game makers were up to, and added scenes between President Snow and Seneca Crane, the Hunger Games head game-maker.  Plus having Caesar Flickerman, through his broadcasts, explain aspects of the Hunger Games was affective.

Having read the book was a benefit, because there was information that was referenced, and not highlighted.  My Mom, who had never read the book, kept leaning over and asking me questions, but she would have enjoyed it even without my added insight into the book.  Actually, she was getting really into it, making even the silliest of comments to me, which she never does.   

The violent scenes were tasteful, as tasteful as a story about kids killing kids could be.  The violence wasn't glorified, but the important moments in the book weren't left out.  There was a shaky camera technique used to add intensity, but also helped blur the violence.  The "shaky camera technique," which I'm sure has a proper technical name, was used throughout during moments of anxiety.  Usually I hate when movies do this, but during the game sequences I appreciated it.  (Though this technique was also used in the beginning of the movie, and I found that more distracting then beneficial emotionally).


I had mixed feelings of this movie as March 23rd neared.  A part of me was quite excited, looking foreward to a movie that appeared well made and well casted, which it was.

But there was a part of me who kept thinking of the Capitalist.  No, not Capitalist, those who are pro-business, but those who live in the government center of Panem, which in this stories future is geographically located in Denver Colorado.  After each Hunger Games, the arenas are preserved, like a museum, where those from the Capitol could go and reenact past games, reliving favorite moments.  

There was a moment in the film where Haymitch, who is Katniss and Peeta's menter, watches in disgust a family in the capitol; The parents give their son a sword, and laugh when he chases their daughter with it.

Before the movie came out, at the midnight showings, many theaters were holding Hunger Game parties, where they reenacted the Hunger Games, and the person who won, won a prize for all those in their "district."  I understand that it's all for fun, I went to a Harry Potter pre-midnight release party after all, but I found the idea of it strange and eerie.

Overall I do give the movie a huge thumbs up and worth the ticket price.  

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Sarah  

No comments:

Post a Comment