Thursday, May 12, 2022

I've Got Mountain Pride, Y'all. :D

On Facebook I follow Must Do Travels. Pretty much they show gorgeous videos of cliffsides in Greece, wondrous landscapes in Switzerland, gorgeous Caribbean beaches, lit up infinity pools overlooking grand vista's, etc.

The videos call me away. Wishes to experience such beauty, but thankful to know such places exist.

Well, a few days ago a video popped up of a gorgeous sunsrise. The person recording the video was cruising down the highway. In the distance were tall mountains where a burning sun hid and rippling clouds glowing in bright pinks and oranges. The scene was beautiful, and then I realized... I knew this place!!!  Replaying the video over and over, recognizing the exits and buildings on thevside of the road. The highway was clearly the I-15. The caption for the video simply read: Road trip, Utah USA.

My home.

I take these mountains for granted, and yet at the same time I'm super prideful about them! 

When I first moved to Utah Valley the mountains were super claustrophobic. Overbearing. I felt a little stifled looking up at them, wanting distance. Now, I crave them. They've become a shelter, a warm hug. A comfort.

Back in my BYU days I went to a free lecture for this author series at the library. This woman, who I had no previous knowledge of, had just come into town, never having visited previously. At BYU the campus sits close to the mountains. They're really strong and bold from that vintage point. And this lady could not get over it. She was overwhelmed. And even though we were in a small theater with no windows, she kept mentioning the mountains and how they were affecting her. She seemed more distressed than pleased.

I've grown to have mountain pride. When I travel I look at cute little hills, only to be told they're mountains. :\ 

Last March I visited St. George. The landscape was a mixture of greens and snow down I-15. A gentle transition from Winter into Spring. I've made this trip so many times I know the ebb and flow of it. This time I wanted to truly take in the scenery. I'm so use to mountains I no longer see them, but this time I wanted to see the hills and mountains, passing through small towns as the sign exits call to all the state and national parks that are scattered throughout Utah. This state is truly beautiful.

There's a movie called "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain". It came out in 95, and I saw it around that time, telling a story of the town Taff's Well in South Wales, where they had a mountain that turned out to simply be a hill, so they did everything they could to make it a mountain.

When I was on a bus tour in Wales, we passed by this mountain hill. The hill is called The Garth, close to Cardiff, and in all honesty it does like a hill! I believe the story is fictional, and I don't think it's an actual mountain, but it was equal parts interesting and funny to see.

Needless to say, I do love these mountains, and I'll always find them majestic.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment