Friday, March 19, 2021

Wearing Green on St. Patrick's Day... Living the Tradition

Wednesday Morning I half spaced it while choosing something to wear, leaning towards something teal or blue until realizing that day had a dress code: Green.  Something green had to be worn, and blue or teal doesn't count.   Funny enough I used to have a lot of green in my wardrobe, but instead I opted for my favorite yet tired Mickey shirt in olive green.  It still count's, right?  No leprechaun was going to pinch me while wearing that color tone, correct?

For good measure I threw on three Irish bracelets. One of the bracelets my Mom made with jade from a Santa Barbara bead store off State Street (we spent a bit of time in that store, and I was so excited to have found jade beads).  The other two bracelets are from Ireland, amethyst and connemara marble.  How perfect is it that Ireland has a marble exclusive to its island, and it just so happens to be green?

Beautiful shades of green, too.

It's funny how we all have traditions we can't help but celebrate.  Not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day feels sacrilege.

One of my favorite St. Patrick's Day memories was in Kindergarten.  Our teacher made it VERY clear that we were to wear green, and if we didn't wear green we would get pinched by leprechauns.  I believed it!!  And some of the kids did get pinched, only by the other kids.  When we entered the classroom that day our teacher, Mrs. Franklin, made it magical.  Irish lore was everywhere, and throughout the room were trails of tiny green foot pints where the leprechauns had scurried about.  I was thrilled to not have been pinched.  And every year since I've worn green.

While choosing something to wear last Wednesday I mused how I had completely forgotten to grab my Gryffindor sweater on Halloween.   These last several years I've worn that Hogwarts symbol, because I sorta look like I've made an effort for the holiday, though I'm technically just being lazy and un-festive.  This year I literally spaced it, even though I had door duty.  With the pandemic not many kids came to the door, but dang it the kids that did was going to get candy!!

So traditions die hard, and wearing green on St. Paddy's Day will live on.

P.S. The Mickey on the shirt is my spirit animal.

PPS. I Didn't get pinched. :P

 
References:


No comments:

Post a Comment