Friday, March 5, 2021

Meandering Friendly Deer


Last week I was in Springdale Utah, next to Zion National Park, for needed nature and normalcy.  It's only a couple weeks from peak season prices, so the prices were still fair.  Where we stayed was right next to the river, which could be heard from the balcony, and was absolute heaven.  One of the first things I saw when looking at the river, that first night, was crossing deer!!

Later that night my Mom and I were meandering in the dark, cutting across the lawn.  Right in front of us I saw the quick movement of something passing.  Suddenly to my left there were about four deer, who were eating, and were only a mere feet from us.  One deer shot their head up, looked at us, and then went back to eating.  It was so amazing.

A couple days later my Mom and I splurged on a spa treatment.  As soon as I got into the relaxation room with its large windows looking at river and red rock, there were so many deer just hanging out.  Nine in total.  The girls who work there were amazed and said they never saw so many deer.

Quite a while back I might have shared this story.  Over a decade ago my family was traveling to California.  Down the I-15 in central Utah there are mountainy bendy bits, and it was my turn to drive.  Everyone was asleep and it was early morning.  As I went around a bend there was this deer just hanging out, standing next to the road, and as soon as we passed I looked into the rear-view mirror and saw the deer crossing the road, just moseying across.  It's something I'll never forget, and I'll always wonder if it knew we were coming, and waited to cross when it was safe.

Someday I hope to visit Nara Japan.  There's a temple there with all these deer, and they're so comfortable around people you can go right up to them and pet them.  That would be super cool.

La Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment