Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Holding My Heritage


I've decided to take up art, which is part of embracing this time in my life.  Give it a try.  The only drawing experience I have is a class in Middle School and High School.  Not much.  Maybe sometime this Summer I'll share those HS drawings, which show potential, but I never did anything with it after the fact.  My Mom and one of my brothers are artists, and I have extended family on both sides who are artist.  It's just something I've wanted to do, but felt intimidated by.

To start off I'm focusing on drawing/sketching and color theory before delving into Watercolor.  (Acrylic and oils can wait).  But while searching through books to study on Amazon I came across Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction by George Bain.  According to Ancestry DNA I'm 49% Irish/Scot.  The rest of me is a mixture of Anglo Saxon/German/Scandinavia.  This book retails for $18.95, but Amazon had it listed for $10.76, containing 160 pages and originally published in 1973.  Yesterday it came in the mail, and after flipping through the pages all I've got to say is, "Wow."  It's so cool.  Love the bits of history. Celtic Art is filled with so many pictures and diagrams, which will always be timeless.  They're just fun to look at.

Below are sample pages.

I'm going to have so much fun trying to draw these designs.




No comments:

Post a Comment