Monday, March 11, 2019

Captain Marvel, mini movie review


Rating: B-

Captain Marvel.

The first released solo female superhero film in the MCU.

It came out last Friday, International Women's Day, not by mistake, I'm sure.  Women's Day was plastered everywhere on the web.  I actually had to look up when International Men's Day was, November 19th, as I don't remember it being celebrated.  And then I looked up when International Taco Day was, there isn't one, but National Taco day is October 4th.  Mark that on you calendars . . . and then scratch it out, because taco's should be loved every day of the year.

Captain Marvel, the movie, is pretty big news.  It grossed to high expectations, bringing in a cool $150 million, showing that movies headlined by gals can be successful.  This is good, honestly.  Though, now that I've seen it, if I was to choose between Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, film wise, I'm going with Wonder Woman.  Stronger movie overall.

Vers (Brie Larson) is a Kree shoulder fighting the Skrull in a never ending succession of battles.  If you've been following Agents of Shield then you know who the Kree are, not going to spoil anything.  Vers has no memory of her past, just the last 6 years she's been fighting, and her gift of energy powers that remain repressed for control.  It's during a battle with the Skrull that she is captured, her mind opened, and suddenly she realizes her past might not be what she thought.  Flashes of Earth enter and confuse.  And thus begins her awakening.

1990's Earth was fun to see, and we see Vers venture through a Blockbuster video store.  (Is Blockbuster video now a symbol of 90's nostalgia?  Wow.  I will not insert how old I'm feeling right now, but dang, serious? Heh.)  And we get to see a young Nick Fury and Agent Coulson.  (Suddenly I want an old school Fury and Coulson movie, Men in Black style.  How awesome would that be??)  Captain Marvel is Vers/Carol Danvers origin story, but in some ways it's Fury's, too.

The highlights of Captain Marvel was Nick Fury.  The special effects/makeup department did a good job making him young.  I also enjoyed that cat and the Stan Lee tribute.

In terms of the movie itself.  It wasn't bad, but it's not my favorite Marvel film.  It might grow on me.  The editing was rough in spots.  The flashback scenes at times jarring.  The 90's music, though trying to be like Guardians of the Galaxy, was not as successful.  And Vers/Carol has Star Wars Rey moments.  I'll leave it at that.

Captain Marvel is worth seeing if you like super hero flicks or simply want to see how this connects to the larger MCU and the ongoing Avengers story line.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive language.

No comments:

Post a Comment