Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Mini Movie Review


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

It seems tradition now, every few years around Christmas time, that I see the latest Chipmunk movie with my Dad.  My Mom doesn't have much interest.  So for the first, second, and third movie it was just the two of of.  This time around, for the 4th movie Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, we took my 4 and 5 year old nieces.  It's always good to see a family movie with the kiddies; they will find amusement in places adults may not, making the movie even more enjoyable, and testing rather a movie is truly a family film or not.

My nieces were quite excited.  The first Chipmunk movie I showed them was The Chipmunk Adventure (1987)--Off To See the World is an incredible song--which they both loved. And I've shown them the 2007's Alvin and the Chipmunks, and 2009's Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, which are both good.  I never showed them Chipwrecked because I never bought it, because I didn't care for it.

So as we drove to the theater my nieces had the biggest smiles on their faces.  My 4 year old niece had the biggest grin, and I asked if she was excited, and she said, "Yeah," still grinning, and then explained how she calls them chicks, because they're chickmunks.  I didn't correct her.  She'll figure it out eventually, in the same way she no longer says Winnie-The-Poop, but Winnie-the-Pooh.

In The Road Chip the gang is back, except once again the chipmunks find themselves separated from David Seville, which is a recurring theme.  He's working with a new musical artist while romancing his girlfriend in Miami.  The chipmunks are left at home in LA with their potential future step-brother.  The Chipettes are barely in the movie due to judging American Idol.  And somewhere in there the Chipmunks with potential step-brother in tow decide to "road chip" across America to Miami.

Chaos ensues, naturally.  And there's a new villain who's an air marshal.  Oh, and all the random flash mobs whenever the Chipmunks sing.

The plot, unfortunately, was sloppy.  Some slap-stick scenes were a little too off the wall for my tastes.  But this is a family flick for kids and the movie plays well to that audience.  (I did grow quickly annoyed with this movie's villain, and found myself rolling my eyes whenever he was on.)  I missed the chipettes, but it was nice having the chipmunks be the focus.  And it was nice seeing them in humble circumstances.

Overall the movie had cute moments and fun music.  I was smiling throughout and "LOLed" on quite a few occasions.

My nieces loved it. They sat through the whole thing, and watched it intensely, enjoying the songs and humor.  I didn't get to see the very end because my little niece needed a potty break, and we got back just in time for the credits.  Ah well, my Dad explained what happened, and I'll have to see it again later to see the movie in its completeness.

MPAA:Rated PG for some mild rude humor.

PS. I wrote this review while Off To See The World, from The Chipmunk Adventure, played on loop.  It really is a good song.


No comments:

Post a Comment