Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Tomorrowland, Mini Movie Review


Rating: 3.25 out of 5 stars

The more I think about this movie the more upset I get.  Tomorrowland.  Based on the land of the same name in Disneyland.  A place of wonder and innovation.  Exploration.  Experimentation.

And a place where the dreamers go and build.

It's the sort of place Walt Disney himself would have loved to live.

And Casey Newton () just got a one way ticket to visit this futuristic land.  She's the "chosen one," the last person who can save Tomorrowland from becoming extinct.  I went into this movie thinking, "I'm tired of movies where the only way a conflict can be solved is if there's a "Chosen One."  My Dad came out thinking, "I'm tired of movies where humans are the bad guys."

In a nutshell Tomorrowland is Wizard of Oz meets Atlas Shrugged.

The movie is convoluted, emotionless, and violent.  Crazy violent for a PG rated film.  It should be rated PG-13 due to the amount of violence and swearing.  My Mom saw it before I did, and one thing she said over and over again was how she couldn't believe the amount of violence and swearing there is.  Some swearing is done in halves, like "Son of a b----," but it's enough.

The only redeeming quality this movie has is the actress who plays Athena, .  She did an absolutely fabulous job.

By the end of the movie I felt more hopeless then inspired.

BTW, that pin is crazy dangerous.  For a land that boasts the best and the brightest, that's a really stupid design.  I get that the pin serves as comedic timing in spots, but who in their right mind in Tomorrowland thought this was a good idea?

MPAA: Rated PG for sequences of sci-fi action violence and peril, thematic elements, and language.

1 comment: