Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What I Fear Most About Today's Taekwondo Belt Test

(Each color represents a different section I've tested for and passed)

The Taekwondo studio I attend belt tests every three months, which means if I don't pass my belt test tonight I'll be a white belt for 6 months!

Six-Whole-Months.

Not an appealing thought, whatsoever.

But if I pass I'll become a white/yellow belt.  (In Taekwondo the progression is White, White/Yellow, Yellow, Yellow/Green, Green, Green/Blue, Blue, Blue/Red, several red belts I have yet to memorize, and then 10 degrees of black belt.)

I've discovered in these last three months that I really love the kicking segments, kicking combos, and poomsae (forms).  I don't care so much for self defense, which is one of the main reasons I'm working towards a black belt.  Maybe once I start sparring (at green belt) I'll change my mind, or maybe when the techniques save my life one day I'll appreciate them.

But what I REALLY don't like is the dive roll. 

The dive roll!

What's sad is that a couple weeks ago I was doing a pretty good dive roll, then last Thursday I landed funny and some psychological stuff started happening in my brain, and every dive roll after that was messed up, hurting my hand, hitting my head, etc.

Well, got to focus and have confidence.

Wish me luck!!

(Edit:  I passed!  Yippie!!  And my dive rolls were pretty good :0)


(The video by PROJECTMARTiALYOU I've been watching for mental practice, since I don't have a mat at home to practice on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment