Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Lull before the Valentine Storm


I always seem to go into a comatose state during Valentines and Mother's Day.

At least during Mother's Day week there's a bounteous amount of birthday festivities in my family to keep me distracted.  Lots of presents are handed out during that time.  3 birthdays in a 6 day period.  All that cake.  Cake and ice-cream.  Yum :0)

And then there's Valentines.

Back in Elementary I loved Valentines: Make a shoebox mailbox, paint it red and pink with hearts all over, slap my name on it, set it under the window with all the other boxes, make sure I bring enough Valentines for everyone, and everyone, in turn, must bring one for me.

As a kid Valentines was awesome.

As an Adult you must actually be loved to receive a Valentine.

This day is either wonderful or a painful reminder of your day-to-day loneliness.

Unless you like being lonely and single, and thus find this day filled with empowerment, first pump in the air, celebrating singlehood in a sea of kissing couples and hand holding.


As for me?

I feel like Charlie Brown, opening the mailbox only to find a beagle sticking his nose out at me.

(Actually, I would really like to see that.  It would be pretty amusing.)

This is the week New Years resolutions truly go down the drain, if they haven't already.  Stores put Valentine candy out right after Christmas, a month + reminder of upcoming festivities of the red/pink/cupid variety.

Loneliness and Chocolate seem to go hand and hand, so shelves filled with heart shaped boxes, row after row of chocolate morsels, mocking the unloved, serve as constant taunting.

I haven't bought myself a box of chocolate, mainly because there's a bag of sea-salt chocolate covered almonds sitting on the counter and they're amazing, but on Monday,

Monday!

All those unloved boxes of Chocolate will be on sale, 50% off, and I shell claim one.

"Forget love — I'd rather fall in chocolate!"
~Sandra J. Dykes

No comments:

Post a Comment