Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Movie Review


Rating:  4.5 out of 5 Stars

I was really nervous last weekend when I walked into the IMAX theater to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  It was that poster with Captain America's shield, red, white, and blue fading, that did it to me.  Was this character, who understands America and the gift of Freedom, about to get an uncharacteristic makeover?  That was my worry, but thankfully my worry was for naught.

And now I'm at a quandary!  How much do I share?  How much do I give away?  It's a battle.

Steve Rogers, aka Captain America (Chris Evans), is still adjusting to a modern-day life.  All he knows is how to be a soldier.  Defending and protecting America is in his heart.  Steve hasn't given a life outside of this a second thought.  The idea of dating girls is cumbersome enough!

Most of Captain America's time is spent working with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) under the guidance of Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson).  When he's not fighting missions he's reminiscing the good ol' days and running around Washington D.C., but that's all about to change.  Something deep is happening within S.H.I.E.L.D., and Captain America quickly finds himself in the middle of all the chaos.  The secretive Winter Soldier is just one of many things the Cap will find himself fighting.

And amongst all this excitement we get the origins of a new super hero The Falcon, played by Anthony Mackie.  The introduction for this two-time Iraq veteran was nicely developed and introduced.  He makes a great addition to the Marvel Universe, and pairing him up with Captain America makes a lot of sense.

I want to give this movie a 5.  I really, really do, but for some reason I can't.  The exposition felt a little off to me, though I can't pin-point way.  Was is not snappy enough?  I like slow moments in film.  I like the fact that we got to see Steve Rogers visit a Captain America museum; this moment was bitter sweet as we see some of what Steve is going through.  Trying to fit in, but longing for what has been.  Visiting Peggy Carter was also a nice touch.

A couple dialogue scenes used a hand-held camera instead of a steady cam, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.  And I felt some of the conflict could have been better explained.

Overall this new Captain America is a great film, worth many views over.  And, oh I can't spill this, the way this movie ends is quite shocking.  Let's just say the series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has felt the effects.  I lost interest in the series after the first few episodes, feeling it was less sophisticated and more campy, but last nights episode immediately picked up where Captain America: The Winter Soldier left off.  And honestly, this is the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I was hoping for: Fast pace, gripping, interesting, and intelligent.  Now I need to go back and watch all those episodes I taped but largely ignored.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence, gun play and action throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment