Saturday, October 13, 2018

I'm Doing a 10 Day Social Media Fast


Last weekend was the Latter-Day Saint General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  This happens twice a year, the first weekend in April and October.  I love conference weekend which consist of five two hour sessions.

During the General Women's Session, gave a few challenges, one of which was a 10 day social media fast, which for me includes Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  Many of my friends have already started, and it's been strange.  Facebook has gotten a lot quieter.  I waited for this weekend to start the challenge as I had online commitments to finish.

During this fast we are also to think of any other media that brings negativity into our lives . . . which means I will also not watch, read, listen, or seek out news.  Now THIS will be super hard.  I have a current events addiction.  Like, I'm not joking or exaggerating.  My need to keep up on the news is actually more important in my life than social media, probably because social media really took off this last decade, whereas I've been following the news intensely since the sixth grade . . . I don't want to do the math, but I'm 36, so this is a long term thing.  But the news isn't a happy thing to follow, so for 10 days I'm not even going to listen to news/talk podcasts.  This Will Be So Hard.

But it will be interesting to see how I feel when it's over, which will be the 23rd of October.  And then I will binge, which is probably not the point of it all.  Oh well.  There's a lot of stuff happening.

So, see you on the other side!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment