Sunday, September 18, 2016

Trusting God When We Can't See


"We cannot always see the end from the beginning.
We trust in the Lord and wait upon Him, knowing that in His own time and His own way, He will bring about his miracles."

~ Neil L. Anderson

I have a hard time trusting in God's timing.  In trials there are lessons.  In trials there are things the Lord wishes for us to grow and learn.  It seems one of the traits God is granting me is patience.  Patience with his timing.  Patience in learning to read.  Patience in taking seven years to get a four year degree.  And patience in starting a family.  I can't see the end from the beginning, but I still put trust in God, even though I've messed up on my path in life.

Sometimes I feel God gives us miracles to let us know he's still with us and watching.

On Twitter I typed out an experience I had ten days ago:


September 8th, 2016, "Just now while on the way to the theater to see a play with my Mom, we lingered a couple second at an intersection when the light turned green.  All of a sudden a car sped through the red light, oblivious.  My Mom and I were shocked.  The cars on the other side of the intersection lingered as well.  At the next intersection a car pulled next to us at the red light, window down, and a nice woman told us that the spirit told her to tell us, "The Lord is protecting you."  I'll be honest, I was disappointed for not winning anything at the photography competition.  Been bummed since I got home.  How selfish and silly.  I need to focus on what's important.  I need to count my many blessings."

What my Mom later told me was that right before approaching the first intersection she envisioned in her mind a car accident.  The driver side getting hit and she dying immediately, the car spinning, getting hurt, and surviving.  This is incredibly strange for my Mom to imagine such a thing.  But she saw it, and it didn't trouble her, she felt peace in it.  And when we stopped at the intersection waiting for the light to turn, both of us didn't do or say anything when it turned green.  We just looked at the green light, peaceful, calm like, our van not moving.  (And that's strange for me because I spent the whole day back and forth from Salt Lake City saying, "the light's green. the light's green. the light's green."  But this time I just starred.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, a car sped through the intersection on her red light, left to right.  We couldn't see her because the rode had three lanes in each direction, and there were already several cars stopped in the two lanes close to us, so she was completely blocked from view, driving quite fast.  If she had hit us it would have been our driver side.  My Mom would have taken the blow.

When she started driving and reached the next intersection we went into the left turn lane, waiting at a red light when a van pulled up to our right, rolling her window down to talk.  I can't remember everything she said, but she was in complete shock and awe with what she just witness, with an overflowing feeling that we were being kept safe.  She then said, "The Lord is protecting you, and he wanted me to tell you that."  She wanted to talk more but the play we were going to started in 13 minutes, and we were supposed to be in our seats ten till the play's start.

I do wonder what else she wanted to say.

I took the experience differently than my Mom.  For me it was a reminder to focus on what's important and to remember that God is mindful of us.  My Mom was stressing about an upcoming trip, praying, more like pleading, to the Lord to keep her safe.

An incredible blessing.

Proverbs 3: 5-6 states: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

I repeat that over and over in my mind sometimes, especially when I'm struggling and feeling lost.  Trust in the Lord.  And I do believe, when we trust in him, he will direct our paths.

But always remember, as Joyce Meyer said, "God can't drive a parked car."

Another thing I'm constantly reminding myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment