Sunday, September 11, 2016

Remembering For Those Who Cannot


9-11 will always be a somber day for me.

A week or so ago I found the picture below being passed around on Facebook.  I don't know who to credit it with, but the realization of the message hit me pretty hard.


"Did you know? 2016 marks the first year high school freshman will learn about 9-11 as a historical event they were not alive for."

How crazy is that!!??  I did the math in my head and realized it was true.

When 9-11 happened, a moment I still remember clearly, watching in real time as the second plane hit the tower, I was struck with horror and emotion.  Later that day I wondered what those who lived during Pearl Harbor and the Second World War felt.  How do they look at my generation?  I've been to many Veteran events.  I even went to a couple Veteran memorial services while visiting France last April/May.  Myself honoring an event I've only read about and watched footage for, while those men standing in uniform were honoring an event they lived through.

Now I have a taste of what those men must have felt.  I will never understand the horrors of war those Veterans experienced, but I honor their bravery just the same.

And now, remembering 9-11, I'm realizing how precious my memories are.  I must remember for those who were not born at that time.  For those who who can't remember because they were too young.  I'm remembering for my nieces and nephew.  Remembering because if you forget the past repeats.  Remembering because we need to not forget how far we've come, and the place we are now, positive or negative.

Always remember.

And now, always remember for those who cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment