Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Blue Apron Meal Service Review


I've been doing Blue Apron for the last several months, so I have a pretty good feel for it now.  There are two meal plans, one for 4 people (4 servings per meal), in which one or two shipments are sent out with two meals each, so there's an option for 2-4 meals a week at $69.92 a shipment.  There's only 4 meal options a week per family plan.  There's also a couples plan, meals with two servings, that send out three meals a week at around $10 a serving, and there are six meals to choose from each week.

My experience is only with the family meal plans.

Each shipment comes with every food item perfectly portioned for each recipe in bags and bottles.  There's ice packs and a bag that keeps everything cold.  If you're worried about recycling, everything is either recyclable or biodegradable.

The meals are hit and miss.

I've learned a lot, such as I don't like cat fish or goat cheese or lamb.

But I've learned a lot about cooking.  The instructions are easy to follow, and the dishes I've made looks a lot like the picture, which is incredible.  Also, the ingredients are always fresh.  All the meat have no hormones or antibiotics.

The meals may be pricey, but I see them as at home cooking classes that have quality ingredients and serve 4 people.  Most of the time I feel like the servings are a good size.  Sometimes we have leftovers.

I still don't understand why they give us eight asparagus for 4 people.


 The recommended cooking time NEVER works out for me.  When I first started the meals it took four times the recommended amount, sometimes taking 2 hours to cook a meal.  I'm getting faster, but I'm still not within an hour.  The prep time takes the longest, especially when I have to mince stuff, particularly garlic or ginger.  By the way, minced ginger smells awesome.


 My prep almost looks like the picture!






 There's a point in the cooking process where it feels like everything is running away from me, and I'm doing some crazy juggling to get it finished and not burnt.


 This udon meal tasted awesome.






 And I loved this salmon meal!



Overall Blue Apron makes cooking less intermediating, and there are many meals I would love to make again, I just need to figure out where I can find white miso paste and snap pea tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment