Tuesday, January 7, 2020

You Just Have to Start; Journey for Health


"It's in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals.  If we constantly put our goals off, we will never see them fulfilled." ~ Thomas S. Monson

And then there's this little gem.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started.  The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and starting on the first one."
~ Mark Twain.

We're in the swing of New Years resolutions, goals, and other whatnot's.  Are you doing well?  Going strong?  Or have you already given up?  I'm doing okay.  I've switched my brain off from the idea of failure, and simply seeing them as missteps, but not a complete end.  Referring to a former blog post I still haven't weighed myself, and it is working wonders.  I'm focusing on non-scale victories, like how I did a Pilates workout yesterday morning and walked 3 miles.  I started drinking an old-fashioned Elderberry soda, just to see what it was like, but stopped drinking after a few sips even though it was interesting.  Little things.  I didn't fail yesterday for having a little soda.  I succeeded when I recognized my limit and stopped.

There's power in the little things.

The little changes.

If you've given up on your goals already, don't.  It's only the 7th of January!!  You can start again.  You can do it. :0)  And break your goal up if you need to.  If you're going strong that's awesome.  I'm learning to focus on each day.

When I was growing up my brother Michael used to say whenever something bad happened, "I'm having a bad day!!"  And my Mom would pause, look at him, and say, "No, you're having a bad moment.  The day isn't over."  And after awhile he started to say, "I'm having a bad moment."  (I should ask him if he still remembers that.)  But that created a lasting impression on my mind, one I wish I hearkened to more often.  Look at life in moments.  If you messed up or feel flustered in this moment, it's just a moment, and moments change.  You still have the rest of the day, week, month, year, etc.

So take steps.

Crawl if you must, that's okay.

And start.

No comments:

Post a Comment