Saturday, November 23, 2019

Last Christmas, mini movie review


Rating: B-/C+

Kate's life is mess.  She has one night stands, gets drunk, and avoids visiting home.  She depends on friends for a place to sleep and carries her suitcase everywhere she goes, her life in flux.  The two stable aspects in her life is her love of George Michael and the year round Christmas shop she works.  When Tom enters her life Kate begins to find herself again, regaining the part of her she lost when she was sick.  But is this new love too good to be true?

Last Christmas takes place in London and is named after the Christmas song sung by George Michael.  Don't read too much into the lyrics, or you'll give some of the plot way.  Don't sing it in your head!  Stop it!  Yeah, it's a catchy song that always gets a lot of airplay every season, following you from one store to the next.

These days we live in a sea of Christmas movies.  Hallmark, Hallmark Mysteries, and Lifetime air at a minimum of six new movies every week between the three, starting right before Halloween.  Hallmark Christmas movies is a Holiday staple.  I kinda laughed last year when it was announced that Dr. Who wouldn't have a Christmas episode because they were out of ideas.  Hallmark and Lifetime certainly have no problem with their creativity.

And with Last Christmas we have a holiday film for the big screen.

There are aspects of this movie I like.  Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding have really cute chemistry as love interests.  The Christmas shop is charming, and I seriously want to find one.  The growth of Emilia's character Kate was nicely developed throughout the movie.

What I didn't like was the twist.  I can't talk about it!  I get it, it's different, and in a sea of romantic Christmas movies you've got to be different, but I was left depressed even though this movie's meant to be uplifting.

I'm not going to say you shouldn't see Last Christmas, I'm just saying I would have been happy catching up on all the Christmas movies I have saved up on the DVR.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for language and sexual content.

No comments:

Post a Comment