Friday, October 30, 2015

Eating Steak While Standing in Shibuya Tokyo, Ikinari Steak


 Within the first 48 hours in Japan I was starting to go into protein withdrawal.  A part of that is the fact that I'm carbohydrate sensitive, and I get sick if I eat too many carbs, and so much of Japanese food involves carbs: Rice and Noodles, with a dash of protein on top.

So on Monday, October 6th, I literally said a morning prayer for guidance.  Both my sister-in-law Krista and I have carbohydrate sensitivity, and we were both struggling. So I prayed for help, hoping we could find a meal protein heavy to help stabilize our blood sugar levels.

We didn't know where to go, and after spending an hour or so in Shinjuku buying our NEX tickets, we decided to get something to eat in Shibuya.  There was bound to be something we would come across.

And sure enough, it was Google Maps acting silly that led us to Ikinari Steak.

One of our afternoon goals was to buy Tokyo Disney Sea tickets from the Disney Store, and I was following the map from the station, waiting for its slow updates as we trekked along.  The distance was quite close, but for a moment the map randomly had us cross the street, unnecessarily, and then cross back to the same sidewalk.  Even though it didn't make sense to follow the guidance, especially since I could look up and see, within a few blocks, such a move was pointless, I decided to follow the path Google Maps displayed.

Right before crossing back to the other side of the street, Disney Store in sight, a man was handing out fliers, and even though I didn't take one, it caused me to turn around.  Michael turned around, too, as we waited for the light to turn, and he saw the sign for steak, the same sign I was starring at.

And a quick discussion, we were starving after all, we decided to give it a try.


 It was a standing restaurant!

I'd read and seen programs about places like this in Tokyo.  Restaurants where you stand, encouraging you to eat fast and leave, no meandering and talking afterwards.

And they gave us giant bibs!  Everyone was wearing one.

After struggling with Google Translate to read the menu, the waitress brought us English menus, which was quite handy.



 I asked for a medium steak, and it was perfect!

So, so yummy.

Corn, steak, salad, and rice.

There was almost a miso taste to the steak, though I couldn't be sure.


 And as we waited we could watch the chef prepare our food.


This was honestly my favorite meal of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment