Friday, September 28, 2018

Competing in a Whovian Running Club Racery Event, Supporting the Charity e-NABLE


This is the third Racery event I've taken part in.  The first two were a house competition with the Hogwarts Running Club.  This Racery event is with the sister club the Whovian Running Club, for those the love Dr. Who, and instead of being between teams--Villains, Time Lords, Companions (my team)--everyone from each team chose a charity to compete with.  Each charity selected was a focused charity for a past medal, and this event is a chance to earn more money for these charities: Patriot Paws, Oceans Initiative, Magic Wheelchair, e-NABLE, and SOS Galgos.  All great charities.

I love the fact that the focus is directly on the charities and not between Whovian teams.

Between the teams I ended up signing up with e-NABLE, though I almost committed to Magic Wheelchair.  Both Fantastic.  But one I had to choose.  Doing both wasn't allowed.  In the end the innovation of e-NABLE and it's global volunteers, using 3D at home printing technology to create super affordable prosthetic limbs lured me to the team.  What a fantastic use of modern possibilities, taking the problem of expensive, unattainable prosthetics, and sharing plans in an open source format, helping many people.

So far our team is in fourth place.  A little discouraging.  I only did 2 1/2 miles yesterday due to having dance practice, but I did a 5k this morning and another 5k this evening.  It was so hard motivating myself this evening, as I wanting to crash on the couch and TV binge, but the thought of getting miles for the charity got me moving.  Tomorrow I hope to spread out a half-marathon worth of miles throughout the day.  We'll see how that goes!!  Haven't walked that many miles in a single day in a super long time.

And BTW, new episodes of Dr. Who start up again on BBC America on October 7th.

I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment