Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Seed, an Original Poem


The Seed

“This is a seed
that's all I know,
if you plant it
something will grow.”

“What will grow?”

“I do not know.
Something big and strong.”

“But it is so small.”

“It's small, that's true.
It's small like you.
And like this seed
you will grow too.”

“Will I grow big and strong,
strong just like you?”

“You might.”

“And this seed will grow too?”

“It will, but only if you plant it soon.”

“What if I don't plant it,
what will happen then?”

“If you don't plant it,
it'll stay tiny and thin,
as its always been.”

“No change?”

“No change at all,
this seed will stay small.
You need to go plant it,
so it can grow tall.”

“After I plant it
what should I do?”

“Water it, nourish it,
tend to the seed.
Give the seed light
and pull all the weeds.”

“Is this all I do?
Just water and nourish it once
and I'm through?”

“Not once or twice
or thrice and your done.
It's day in and day out
in the shade and the Sun.
And If you neglect it,
miss just a day,
the plant that has grown
can soon pass away.”

“Does that mean it's weak,
the seed was not strong?”

“No, the seed was a good seed,
it's you who did wrong.
The seed will reflect
all the deeds that you do,
so you must be patient
and see all things through.”

~ Sarah Stufflebeam

No comments:

Post a Comment