Sunday, March 31, 2013

The True King

(Frank Dicksee "The Two Crowns", {PD-US})

A poster of this painting hangs on the wall of our living room, right above the piano.  I've spent a great deal of time looking at it, and I didn't immediately notice the figure of Christ on the right, hanging on the cross with a crown of thorns.  This painting, depicting two princess in different states, suddenly explodes with meaning.  One prince is adorned, favored, celebrated after his gallant conquest, the other prince hangs, alone and ignored, while the other prince sees him.  The prince on the white horse, though showered with attention, looks to the true prince.  
The true Savior.

At least that's how I've always seen this painting.  I don't know Frank Dicksee's true intention, but it doesn't matter to me.  Whenever I see this painting I pause and think, remembering that no matter what's happening to me, no matter what's going on in my life, I need to pause and reflect on our Savoir, our Lord Redeemer, and remember the great gift of the Atonement.

Happy Easter.  What a beautiful day this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment